Saturday, August 23, 2008

Yummy Produce

I joined an organic co-op group a few months ago. It was not an easy thing to convince Philipe, with good reason....I have NO clue how to cook. Everyone who knows me can attest to that. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to learn. Philipe thought it would be a waste of money. I had Brianna on my side. With her eating solids it only makes sense that we try to give her organic if possible. Well, he finally jumped on board with the whole idea. He said we could try it. We get new produce every 2 weeks. Some of the stuff I have never even heard of. Neither has Philipe. He thought for sure it would all go to waste. Secretly, I had my doubts too. The fact that he was waiting to say "I told you so" pushed me even harder to use all the produce before the next share. Since then, Philipe probably feels like he has a new wife. I cook now and am always on a hunt for cool, new, EASY recipes. I'm no Emeral but I do think I am getting much better. It feels good to make a tasty meal and make my husband happy. Poor guy has done all the cooking until now. I feel like we eat much healthier too because I have to incorporate all the produce into our diets. We've actually started saving money too because we don't go out to eat half as much as we use to. Upon request, I will post what I do/ plan to do with all my goods.  Be sure to check out my buddy co-op'ers, Denise, Lauren, and Jen, did with this weeks share.

Romaine Lettuce- Washed and spun. Ready for salads/ sandwiches.
Swiss Chard- No Clue! Suggestions, please.
Zucchini- I think I'm going to fry it. I had it as an appetizer once and it was super good.
Carrots- Shredded one for salad for lunch. 
Plum Tomatos- Either salsa or served with mozzarella cheese, basil, and olive oil drizzled on top. There's a name for it but I can't recall it.
Cremini Mushrooms- some were sauteed and put on top of steak last night
Alfalfa Sprouts- will go on sandwiches and in salads
Celery- some in salad, raw with dip or cream cheese
Red Cabbage- 
Green Beans- gone! Sauteed with bacon, garlic and parm cheese. Super yummy!
Sugar Peas- these were missing from my share :(
Cantaloupe- cut up and eat. Bri loves cantaloupe
Oranges- probably eat raw. Maybe juice 
Plums- snacks
Bananas- Bri eats with her breakfast


5 comments:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

Thanks for posting this. When I started with Andrea's group a few years ago, I only took 1/2 a share b/c I was worried things would go bad. Now I usually use up my stuff with in a week and I have to get more.

The Cooking Lady said...

Do me a favor and visit my blog. I LOVE to cook and have recipes that are easy and family friendly, or you can tailor your dishes to make them friendly for your family.

Please do not hesitate to ask me question on my cooking blog, for I love to help people in the kitchen, it is what I live for!!!!

Lauren said...

Sounds like you're doing really good in the kitchen! I'm looking forward to hearing what you did with your stuff. I like your green bean idea- might have to try it this time. :)

Brittany! said...

you can fry your zuchinni and make a horseradish and mayo sauce to dip it in.
or you can saute the zuchini with other fresh vegies and throw it over some rice!

Jen said...

I love your green bean idea I am going to try this! Thanks holmes. The chard I always cook like spinach. You can cut into strips and then saute with some olive oil and chopped up garlic plus whatever else (your green bean recipe might be really good with the chard too). This time I am going to saute mine with the olive oil and garlic but also with italian bacon (I think gerrie posted a recipe for kale using these things so I was going to use that recipe with the chard).